Remember being young and riding in your friend’s used car? Most likely one of your friends had a car that had a crack in the windshield! I know that was pretty commonplace when I was young. I even had a crack in my windshield for a brief time when I was a poor college student. Most would think that a crack isn’t a bid deal, but is it a big deal? Also, what are the laws regarding windshields in Hawaii? Lets explore!
According to your mechanic.com “Hawaii does not mention regulations concerning chips or cracks in the windshield. However, drivers must follow federal regulations, which include:
· There should be no areas of damage between the top of the steering wheel and the top edge of the windshield.
· Cracks that do not have any other intersecting cracks are permitted if they do not obscure the driver’s view.
· Chips and cracks that are smaller than ¾ of an inch in diameter and that are not within three inches of another area of damage are permitted.
So even if the above is not an issue, but a crack does exist, does a safety concern exist? Generally if you have a small crack in your windshield, there’s no immediate danger, however, if the crack is large or the glass is significantly damaged, you should have your windshield replaced or repaired if possible. We suggest this due to the following two reasons:
· Windshields weakened by damage provide less protection for you and your passengers.
· Cracked windshields decrease visibility, thus creating a safety concern for you, your passengers & other cars on the road
To help you decide whether you need to replace your windshield, just ask yourself the following question: Does the damaged windshield impair my vision when driving? If the answer is yes, then you should have your windshield replaced immediately. If the answer is no, then you should keep an eye on it and replace it a little later down the road if the crack continues to get larger.
We hope this brief article has provided you with valuable insight in regarding when to take action if noticing a crack in your vehicle’s windshield. If you have any questions, or need your windshield inspected or replaced, please feel free to give us a call or submit an estimate request via our online contact form. We’d be glad to assist you in any way possible.
K W Auto Body Support Team